Thursday, February 18, 2010

fruit is always good

One of the staples of our diet is fruit. We love all kinds of fruit. Jeremy is coming around, though it's been a little tougher with him still. The rest of us enjoy strawberries, melons, grapes, apples, pears, mangoes, bananas, you name it. If it's a berry, I want it. If I don't have enough variety to make a fruit salad, then I'll throw what I have in the juicer with some carrots and wala...instant fruit medley. Fruit is naturally high in fiber, loaded with antioxidants and energy boosters, and are low in calories. You can eat fruit anytime, with any meal or as a meal itself. It's always good to have fruit on hand.

As I consider the wonder of all the fruits that God created (and there are so many I don't even know about) my mind continues to stray to Galatians 5 where we are taught about the Fruits of the Spirit; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faitfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Wow! God lays out right here what right living is. Although self-control is last on the list, it the one that comes to mind first when it comes to our eating habits. Self-control is essential when it comes to the food choices offered to us in the world. There are so many enticing, mouth-watering options, it's easy to give in to our carnal cravings. I, like Paul, have not mastered this yet, but I will tell you that it is something that I work very hard on. I greatly admire the person who can avoid the tantalizing treats for the sake of their health, or the sake of a fast or what have you. Self-control in any area of your life helps you "beat your body into submission" and train yourself to run the race in a smoother, more focused way.

Paul also lays out very plainly that the opposite of the Fruits of the Spirit are the works of the flesh, two in particular I easily relate to this topic; impurity and selfish ambition. In other words; serving self. When we overeat, or eat foods that are not glorifying to God simply for the sake of self satisfaction...it's like being impure, gorging or indulging the flesh and it's desires. Sometimes I want what I want when I want it. But it's at those times that I struggle the most. Just because my body craves it, does not mean it is a good idea to have it. Oh...this principal is seen throughout Scripture and can be applied to every area of our lives, but for the sake of this blog...I'm referring to food.

The good news is this: When you opt for God's food, one of them being fresh fruit, your sweet-tooth cravings and appetites are satisfied. The overall digestive system is improved and you don't have to feel guilty later!

Over the last week I've impletemented some new or newly improved recipes. Oh the joy I find in providing healthy, delicious meals for my family!

Chicken Noodle Soup - free range chicken, organic broth, fresh veggies and no yolk pasta - big hit!

Spaghetti and Sausage - made my own spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, etc., omega 3 rich whole grain pasta, turkey sweet italian sausage - another hit!

Egg sandwhiches - on multigrain, high fiber english muffins, free range brown eggs, all natural cheese - Yes!

Chicken and Veggies stir fry - with squash, zucchini, onions, free range chicken, served over brown rice - not bad, needs tweaking.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment