Friday, April 16, 2010

ouch!

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.." - John Steinbeck

It happens to the best of us. We all make plans, we all intend to move forward and we all, at times, get short sighted and think we'll go along uninterrupted and make our goals. And maybe much of the time, this is absolutely true - however, I live in the real world...where things often do not go as planned.

Experience is a gift. I have experienced enough plan-thwarting dilemmas to know that you can't count on everything going your way. I also know that God's word says that "...you don't even know what will happen tomorrow..." James 4:13-15. So really, you can plan all you want, just be prepared for the plan to fall apart. And that's just what happened to mine....

I was doing great! I was alternating my walking and exercise "as planned". I was getting so excited about how great my clothes were going to fit and how happy I was going to be once I got to the size and shape I wanted. And then...I gave the dog a bath. Ouch!

Really it shouldn't have been that big of a deal. He's not a big dog - smallish in fact. However, the bending and stretching over the bathtub to clean up my muddy pooch did me in and down I went for 4 days. And like any other mom, all I could say was "I don't really have time for this." But our bodies tell us when we need to take time, don't they?

Evidently, my back is not as strong as it was a couple of years ago. I was banking on the fact that a little exercise goes a long way. Foolish I was! I have a ways to go - not to mention, a history of lower back disc problems. I didn't see it coming...I was completely blind-sided. My legs literally taken out from under me.

Thanks to a wonderful chiropractor, my sweet girlfriends and my loving husband, I hobbled through these past few days in superior style! I am feeling much better and am looking forward to a nice walk tomorrow around the lake. Oh...and I have been assigned some new core stabilizing exercises. It's going to take time. My new plan; Take time to do it right and until my back is strong, think twice before using my bathtub as a home spa for my Schnauzer!

Needless to say, foodwise this week has been quite out of kilter. Subs one night, mexican another. I couldn't wait until I could at least creep around the store to get a few healthy items. And then my sweet friend brought homemade soup and then spaghetti. What a relief not to have to cook as it still hurts to stand for long periods of time.

I found out that Oil of Oregano is a great pain reliever for joints and muscles. It can be taken orally and used topically. I was especially pleased to find this out after I had already purchased it to treat my son's sore throat and swollen glands - and I can even use it on his eczema!

Here's to best laid plans!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment