Monday, April 12, 2010

set your mind

I've heard it said that it takes 28 days to create a new habit. Sticking with something is pretty hard in this fast-paced, not-enough-hours-in-the-day world we live in. In order to even get started on that new habit - you have to set your mind on it. Habits just don't happen. It's a process of determining to do something routinely, consistently and with determination.

As I was taking my walk today - I couldn't help but wonder how I had gotten "out" of the habit of regular exercise. A few years ago I was determined to get into shape and I did. I created those good eating habits and exercise routines that afforded me the jeans size I wanted. I guess it's easier to break a habit than it is to create one!

Partnering with someone is a good idea. Although I've managed before without having anyone hold me accountable. My accountability came in the closet; the clothes I had didn't fit well and therefore I was motivated to create habits that would help me do so. Chatting with someone about your goals, daily success and failures helps many people. I'm glad this time I have someone to go through the process with.

Using the small pieces of in-home equipment is fun because I can mix it up and I can do it while I watch my favorite t.v. show; Law & Order. Every other day I walk the lake (not just a stroll...a brisk cardio walk) and I've started using hand weights...5lbs in each hand as I walk.

This weekend wasn't a great weekend for healthy food for my family - birthday parties and other commitments kept us from our normal routine. However, I did make BBQ turkey sandwhiches and some homemade turkey noodle soup for company. I feel good knowing that at least 5 days out of 7 I am in control of our nutrition and overall it's going well. The good habits are being created that I've been hoping for.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erika! I admire your dedication to taking care of your body. I really liked how you said that your "clothes" were your accountability. I had never thought of that before, & it's so true! You inspired me tonight. I have let my eating & excercising habits slide horribly off track since the week before Easter. Thank you for making me decide that I will get back on track. Have a blessed week Erika! Hugs
    P.S. I see that I have to sign this with m google - I have my Simple Woman's Daybook on this link, but I would love it if you were to stop by my everyday blog (I'm announcing another giveaway tomorrow)...the url is http://homespunblessings.net/Gratefulheartblog.html Hope to see you there

    ReplyDelete